Come in and Blog On!

2023 Welcome to your IE 3 class blog. The object of this class project is to log in and write your comments, web links, answers to questions, and your questions to others at least twice a week. It's fun and you can include pictures or graphics. Keep it original, helpful, and interesting. Don't forget to spellcheck your work before publishing. Also, when you create your user name, please use your real first name, in Romaji (ex. Ryuki, Mari, Lisa, etc.) so that we know who we are communicating with. Enjoy, and Blog on!

Thursday, June 8, 2023

Thoughts and analysis on Varmints

 Varmints



I think the central message of Varmints is a criticism toward modern industrialization and heavy urbanization. First, in the movie, the protagonist is in a very peaceful place, enjoying the life surrounding him. Then a wave of huge buildings pulled by an almost soulless varmint came. Wiping out the beautiful nature. I think this part symbolizes the endless expansion of humans toward nature. After everything was lost, the protagonist still tried to grow some life. He almost looked alone in the entire city who is trying to preserve what he had before. Maybe others were trying too, but already gave up and stopped thinking about what they had and decided to be a mere gear in the city.

This made me think about myself in Tokyo, I was born and raised in Sapporo and everything is still unusual to me, the almost unethical train ride packed with people, the lack of greenery, and the huge crowd commuting to work or study like ants. I always felt Tokyo is like a huge machine. Even though I was the one who chose to come to Tokyo, I still don't want to feel normal being packed like a sardine every day. To resist from becoming too comfortable with the city, I go seek for nature to retreat from the urbanized area at least once a week. The fact that I am not much of an urban person made me really immerse myself in the film. Lastly I'm going to write about the thought on the jellyfish thing. I think it symbolize nature. Considering it destroyed the city and spread nature all over. Nature can be ruthless if you ignore it

and exploit it too much. But I'm really not sure why the jellyfish favored the varmints who love nature. Because nature does not favor any being. So I guess the one who was taken is dead. Now being one with nature.