Come in and Blog On!

2023 Welcome to your IE 3 class blog. The object of this class project is to log in and write your comments, web links, answers to questions, and your questions to others at least twice a week. It's fun and you can include pictures or graphics. Keep it original, helpful, and interesting. Don't forget to spellcheck your work before publishing. Also, when you create your user name, please use your real first name, in Romaji (ex. Ryuki, Mari, Lisa, etc.) so that we know who we are communicating with. Enjoy, and Blog on!

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Opposites attract, but make it platonic

Here’s a fun little question: Have you ever taken the MBTI test? And if you have, what’s your personality type?

So this past weekend, my friend of about 7 years now stayed over at my apartment. And for some reason, around 1 a.m. on Sunday night (or Monday morning), we found ourselves lying on my bed, taking the MBTI test together. I’m not sure how much you know about the test, but I’m an INFP-T; basically speaking, the artistic, emotional, existential, self-conscious type. I’ve taken it several times and always get the same result, except for the very first time I took it, back in the US, age 10, when I got ENFP. I know what you're thinking. Me? An extrovert??? Well the reason for my personality change probably has something to do with me falling into a deep sea of depression and self-loathing and having my soul crushed as I moved back to Japan and had to -and failed miserably at- adjusting to my new life at around the age of 12, buuuut that’s a story for another time. 


Anyways, me: INFP-T. And guess what my friend got? ESTJ-A. The COMPLETE OPPOSITE. So…opposites attract…I guess? We’ve both always been pretty well aware that we’re two very different people, but to have it in writing, a super-duper-official 10-minute-online-test result, it’s pretty interesting. Especially since I’ve always been intrigued by psychology. Like, why do you like this and I don’t? Why do you believe one thing and I believe the complete opposite? Why do you enjoy conversing with large groups of people at a loud party while I’d rather be shipped to Antarctica in a freezer box? Fascinating stuff, really.


All this made me wonder if the “opposites attract” thing really does have some truth to it, perhaps even in a non-romantic context. Or maybe it’s just by chance and circumstance that she and I turned out to be good friends, and our personalities have absolutely nothing to do with it. Who knows?


What do you all think? Are you pretty similar to or different from your closest friends?

No comments: