Come in and Blog On!

2023 Welcome to your IE 3 class blog. The object of this class project is to log in and write your comments, web links, answers to questions, and your questions to others at least twice a week. It's fun and you can include pictures or graphics. Keep it original, helpful, and interesting. Don't forget to spellcheck your work before publishing. Also, when you create your user name, please use your real first name, in Romaji (ex. Ryuki, Mari, Lisa, etc.) so that we know who we are communicating with. Enjoy, and Blog on!

Friday, May 29, 2009

I need, I want, I will

I guess you can say a tribe is a group of people who have something in common, and where they are committed to each other?
But at the same time I can imagine a barbaric tribe that's rather similar to a herd of animals.

Airi & Ayaka :
I don't think Japan being an island country has to do with anything at all.
Most of the south-east Asian countries are small islands with many tribes. Some are even unidentified. They gradually developed a tribe with a set of rules and values.
But that's when we are talking about this kind of "tribe" :



But if we think about "tribe" in different terms like for example, the poll Dr. Armstrong made.
We can call Otakus, Johnny's Jr. fans, young/old people tribes too. They each have something in common and there are even movements too.

If you think of Japan back when it was a imperialistic country where the government was absolute, I guess you can see that as a tribe?
We had people willing to die for the country. That twisted sense of patriotism could be defined as a "tribe" I have no idea what I'm talking about though. :P




But! How do you write "family" in kanji? :
That's right! The first character is "House" and the second is the character for "Tribe"
HOUSE TRIBE.
In Japan, our family is a tribe!
Each family has their own rules and tradition, their own taste for miso soup, their own way of folding underwear. Its all true.

We have family traditions. Hmmmm.
Don't we?

----------------------

And on the videos we watched in class.
Honestly for "Seers and Clowns" I was pretty disappointed in myself. I thought I didn't have an eye for judging animations. I would just say I enjoyed the random scenes where people were getting eaten though. I also liked how the movie was gloomy over all with a ominous seasoning to it. It kinda reminded me of Salad Fingers.....


The other video however, I interpreted it slightly different from Dr. Armstrong. He said it was as if the dancers had to be connected and they had to have physical contact during every moment.
Seeing the title being "Biological cross-culture" it reminded me of coming together/failing in a biological aspect like evolution!
Two different creatures come together to be one. However it just didn't work out. They don't (biologically) mix well together so they detach, try again, fall apart, try again....

For example we see many new hybrid animals such as this hybrid stag beetle.
This stag beetle is half female, and half male.
The interesting thing is that it doesn't have a reproductive system.








And here we have a hybrid of a Galapagos ocean/land iguana.
This is a iguana with the body of a land iguana, but the claws and color of an ocean iguana.
Recently, due to global warming, there has been a severe decrease in the amount of seaweed in the ocean. Therefore the Ocean Iguanas came back on land to eat the cactus. With their sharp claws, they are able to climb cactus trees when normal land iguanas aren't able to.
Soon all the cactus will be eaten to extinction. Except like the stag beetles, these hybrid iguanas do not have a reproductive system as well.

Just like the dancers in the video, two creatures come together in order to evolve and attach to their surroundings, but fail. I saw the performance as if this routine was repeated over and over again. They form a new breed, but after a while it doesn't work out.