Come in and Blog On!

2023 Welcome to your IE 3 class blog. The object of this class project is to log in and write your comments, web links, answers to questions, and your questions to others at least twice a week. It's fun and you can include pictures or graphics. Keep it original, helpful, and interesting. Don't forget to spellcheck your work before publishing. Also, when you create your user name, please use your real first name, in Romaji (ex. Ryuki, Mari, Lisa, etc.) so that we know who we are communicating with. Enjoy, and Blog on!

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Stereotypes

Hello everyone.

Today, I'll talk about the thing I found in other class.
I'm attending Intercultural Communication lecture. At that lecture, I saw short videos which testing people regarding how they behave differently based on their stereotypes.
The test was conducted in a park. There were two actors who are white and black, both dressed in same kind of way. Then they pretended to steal a bicycle. Cameras were constantly watching how passers behave.
Surprisingly, when the white actor tried to steal the bicycle, some people stopped and asked what's going on, but ultimately they never stopped him or called police. Some people even said that they thought he was working for the park.
By contrast, when the black actor tried to steal the bicycle, many people(much more than the white actor's case)stopped and asked persistently. Some people got angry of him and finally called police.
I was really surprised to see this. I didn't think that the stereotypes make them behave differently so much. I think we all tend to have stereotypes toward other people. But still, considering other's deep parts, rather than their appearance, is what important I think.

>To Kentaro
I prefer both working individually or working in groups. Since I think both has particular advantages. I think understanding each other and listening carefully to other's opinion is a key to make group activities better.