Come in and Blog On!

2023 Welcome to your IE 3 class blog. The object of this class project is to log in and write your comments, web links, answers to questions, and your questions to others at least twice a week. It's fun and you can include pictures or graphics. Keep it original, helpful, and interesting. Don't forget to spellcheck your work before publishing. Also, when you create your user name, please use your real first name, in Romaji (ex. Ryuki, Mari, Lisa, etc.) so that we know who we are communicating with. Enjoy, and Blog on!

Monday, June 23, 2014

Varmints

I watched a short film named "Varmints" again in order to complete my assignment for IE core class. The film tells us a lot of messages and we can freely interpret them. To be honest, I didn't like this kind of film since I wasn't imaginative that much, but I like this film for some reasons. Watching this film, I remembered being asked a certain question when I was in high school.

I would often visit Akita International University to take lectures for high school students when I was in Akita. During one of the lectures, I had a discussion activity there. I don't remember it clearly, but I guess I was asked a question like this; "Should we build business offices more in the contryside?" I'm sure that I answered 'yes' to this question with confidence, without seriously thinking about it. I wasn't flexible enough to realize that it had both good aspects and bad ones. I just thought many people would be able to work and that employment opportunity would be expanded. I wasn't able to notice the shadow part of this question at that time. Also, I always wished I had been born in the city, not in the country like Akita. You know Akita is located in the countryside, and the life was sometimes inconvenient there. I thought how good it would be if Akita were urbanized. I didn't think about the issues caused by urbanization at all.

After watching this film, however, I realized how self-centered I was at that time. It is clear that urbanization has a lot of good effects on human beings, but it does harm to other creatures in the earth. The vast nature, where many creatures once lived, has been destroyed in order to build skyscrapers. It seems to me that the earth is thoroughly under control of human beings. The air and the water are to be polluted as a result of urbanization, and after all, envronmental problems are to return to human beings. We humans should notice that what we act in our daily life has a huge impact on our life itself, as well as other creatures in the earth. We should also think about both good aspects and bad ones whenever we do something in our life. The earth is a place where a variety of creatures co-exist, whose diversity should be conserved forever. The key is, of course, in the hands of human beings.