Come in and Blog On!

2023 Welcome to your IE 3 class blog. The object of this class project is to log in and write your comments, web links, answers to questions, and your questions to others at least twice a week. It's fun and you can include pictures or graphics. Keep it original, helpful, and interesting. Don't forget to spellcheck your work before publishing. Also, when you create your user name, please use your real first name, in Romaji (ex. Ryuki, Mari, Lisa, etc.) so that we know who we are communicating with. Enjoy, and Blog on!

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Nice to meet you!

Hello, fellow classmates of my IE 3 class. 

My name is Kent Aihara, otherwise known as Bryan. I like to be referred to as Bryan, so please call me by my English name.


I'm sorry I took a while to write anything on this blog; I'd been pretty much unaware of its existence until the last IE core class, and after that I was pretty much engaged with other things until now.


A quick introduction to myself:



I was born in the United States, in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

I've been moving between Japan and the U.S. back and forth, living in each place for about 3 to 5 years before going back to said country. 

I've experienced too much during all my years of living, (although I'm still young) to be able to write and share a lot of myself with you guys, so I guess I will talk about something that is more recent and fresh in my memory.

Yesterday, I attended the freshmen recruiting/welcoming session for our university's gliding club. I have always been interested in aircraft and flying, so I thought it was the perfect opportunity for myself to get involved in something different than what I did in high school. 

The flying experience itself was a marvelous one. After entering the cockpit, the instructor familiarized me with the controls of the glider. There are three main controls which are essential to flying these: the rudder, the elevator, the ailerons, and the air brakes. 

The take-off itself is done with the help of the winch, which flings the glider off to the sky at a speed of around 120 km to 130 km. Then the instructor told me to familiarize myself with the actual controls in-flight. I stepped on the rudder pedals, and shifted the control stick back-and-forth, but other than that I did not do much.

After safely landing on the aerodrome, I exited the aircraft and tried to deal with the motion sickness. (I really shouldn't have eaten 4 rice balls before taking off) Anyway, the itself was a splendid one, and even though the monthly fee is a tad bit expensive, I really look forward to joining the glider club. 

Here are some pictures from yesterday's flight: