Come in and Blog On!

2023 Welcome to your IE 3 class blog. The object of this class project is to log in and write your comments, web links, answers to questions, and your questions to others at least twice a week. It's fun and you can include pictures or graphics. Keep it original, helpful, and interesting. Don't forget to spellcheck your work before publishing. Also, when you create your user name, please use your real first name, in Romaji (ex. Ryuki, Mari, Lisa, etc.) so that we know who we are communicating with. Enjoy, and Blog on!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

11th post Japanese subculture

To be honest, I'm probably the one in class to get in touch with "otaku" culture. Darn it...It's all over the place, it's just impossible to stay unscathed by it! Well...I go at least two times a year in comic or game conventions, I use my computer for hours at home, and...sigh I wear glasses. But I don't go to Akihabara much because it's simply too far, and I don't have any figurines at home (Don't you think it's an waste of space?). So I'm not much of an sample to write these kind of things.

So, I had an interview with my unfortunate friend about "moe". Of course his first reaction was quite...no, very nasty (I also regretted that I have asked him) but when I said I would use his answers for academic means, he thankfully cooperated with me.
Firstly, I have took the details of the video we saw and my friend had a look at them. After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, my friend said that these are about an very blased view of an "perfect" otaku (Of course by sarcastic means). You would rarely see one even in Akihabara and most of them are just actors doing an joke, he added that most of the majority of otaku like feigning and will laugh in the face at you when you are attracted to the bait. He also said that too many people mistake that "moe" is simply about an attraction or attachment to certain objects that anyone could have. Not just 2-dimensional characters.

So...finally I asked him "Then is it possible to have that sort of attachment to things that are very unsuspected?"
He answered "Yes, last time I saw an Internet board that displays "moe" on vikings with hulking muscles and horned helmets."

"...eh?"