Come in and Blog On!

2023 Welcome to your IE 3 class blog. The object of this class project is to log in and write your comments, web links, answers to questions, and your questions to others at least twice a week. It's fun and you can include pictures or graphics. Keep it original, helpful, and interesting. Don't forget to spellcheck your work before publishing. Also, when you create your user name, please use your real first name, in Romaji (ex. Ryuki, Mari, Lisa, etc.) so that we know who we are communicating with. Enjoy, and Blog on!

Saturday, June 18, 2022

Reply to Destiny

I was planning on replying to Destiny through the comment section, but realized I could make a whole blog entry out of it. Just a heads up though, none of this touches on physics. Anyway, here it goes.

My opinion shifts pretty frequently. I never get to settle on one thought. It just kind of depends on how I'm feeling that day. It can be exhausting being me sometimes.

30% of the time, I believe that everything has a meaning. Every tiny decision that I have made in the past is what makes me, 'me'. (sorry that sounded very corny) It might not seem like a huge component in the moment, but it will most definitely have an influence on how I behave and think in the future. This point of view is probably the most productive, as it motivates people to always strive to be a better version of themselves. Yet at the same time, if they have the tendency to be hard on themselves, this thought may be very anxiety inducing. For instance, if they catch themselves relaxing, they might beat themselves over it because they should be 'working on themselves constantly'. 

35% of the time, I go in with a little bit of a nihilistic approach. More specifically, I believe in optimistic nihilism. Optimistic nihilism is the acknowledgement that life has no meaning, which makes life feel more liberating. Because think about it. We're living on a floating rock. Why on earth would that need a definition? Why do humans feel the need to find meaning in everything? Why can't things just be the way it is? At the end of the day, we'll all die someday. Yes, we've had many people who have left a mark in the past, and their life 'meant' something. But so what? 1000 million years later from now, that probably won't even matter. So it's just much easier to think that we just so happened to be here by coincidence, and we aren't here to serve any purpose but to live.

Although, I do understand that putting meaning to the unknown feels comforting. Us humans don't like it when they don't understand something. 

Some people argue that optimistic nihilism can be toxic because it is an 'inconsiderate interpretation of nihilism'. I'm not really sure what that means, though. 

Then 15% of me believes that everything was already decided since birth. By whom? I have no idea. I wouldn't say God, because I'm not religious or anything. But something that holds a bigger power than us. I don't know, maybe the universe? 

There's a famous verse in a bible, which may sound similar to this way of thinking. In Ephesians 1:11, it writes that "All things are done according to God's plan and decision; and God chose us to be his own people in union with Christ because of his own purpose, based on what he had decided from the beginning" In this case, the 'bigger power' = God, since it's Christianity. 

The other 20%? I'm not so sure where that went. But I wanted to keep it open because there's definitely other ways to look at it. Gotta be flexible.

To be completely honest, I have no idea what I just talked about. I may or may not have gotten the terms wrong, and if I did, feel free to correct me. Anywho... goodnight!

No comments: