Come in and Blog On!

2023 Welcome to your IE 3 class blog. The object of this class project is to log in and write your comments, web links, answers to questions, and your questions to others at least twice a week. It's fun and you can include pictures or graphics. Keep it original, helpful, and interesting. Don't forget to spellcheck your work before publishing. Also, when you create your user name, please use your real first name, in Romaji (ex. Ryuki, Mari, Lisa, etc.) so that we know who we are communicating with. Enjoy, and Blog on!

Monday, May 23, 2022

Obachan's Garden (NFB)

 

1)     How old was Linda Ohama’s grandmother when she discovered the secret?

“Obachan” was 100 years old as Linda uncovered the secret.

2)     Why did Asayo Murakami emigrate to Canada? (What is a “picture bride”?)

She had to emigrate to Canada to earn her living. Picture bride refers to the practice of selecting brides from their original countries via a matchmaker, who couple bride and groom using photographs and family recommendations of the candidates.

3)     What secret did Linda Ohama discover about her grandmother, Asayo Murakami?

Linda Ohama came to realize that Asayo had to leave her two kids behind as she was headed to Canada to start a new life.

4)     What are some good things about Obachan?

Obachan is a tough person. She can withstand hardships without faltering. She is artistically talented and plays violin which helps promote catharsis in dire moments (violin is therapeutic). She reminds me of my mother. I know based on my experience that tough mothers are unstoppable. I have great admiration for people like my mother.

5)     What makes it seem that Asayo Murakami was not an ideal parent?

She would prioritize her own needs instead of taking care of her kids.

6)     What is the most wonderful, touching scene in the film?

The turning point is when Obachan reunites with her biological daughter after seventy-five years of separation. They wished they had met each other sooner. The actual feeling after reuniting with each other must be of ineffable magnitude.

7)     If you were to make a film about your family member, who would you choose and why?

I would dedicate it to my mother. Her determination and ambition are impossible to define in plain words. She emigrated abroad four times and raised me in Japan, Italy in Germany with great affection. Thanks to her multilingual skills, I could inherit them too. I hope I can be more mentally and spiritually tough as my mother is. I could never express enough the degree to which I am thankful for her devotions and affection.

No comments: